It will be a busy summer.
After years of putting off some very important projects, you finally have a budget and a schedule for the home maintenance projects around your home. You are probably the most excited about the window replacement job that is one of the earliest tasks on the list. The new window installation will improve the exterior appearance of your house while at the same time improving the energy efficiency the home. The work is scheduled to be completed in just a few days, but the results should be something that you benefit from for years to come.
The roofing contractors are scheduled to come later in the summer and their work will prevent you from parking in the garage for the better part of a week, but the inconvenience will be worth it. In fact, the new roof will not only require less maintenance it will also help save energy on your monthly utility bills.
Window Replacement Options Can Offer a Variety of Benefits
Although they are more expensive, many window upgrades can help you increase the value of your home while also making your home more energy efficient. For instance, dual-paned windows are about twice as effective at retaining air conditioning and heat when compared to single-paned ones. It should come as no surprise that drafty windows let air escape can lead to an increase in energy bills by as much as 10% to 25%.
Although they serve as a substantial investment, when high quality windows are properly maintained, they can last 20 years or longer, depending on the material. For instance, according to a 2007 study, aluminum windows have a life expectancy of anywhere between 15 and 20 years. In addition, quality window replacements also add to the value of a home. New windows, in fact, are a major draw for many home buyers.
Siding Installation Can Help Protect the Value of a Home
Whether you are looking at vinyl siding or another kind of low maintenance material, the decision to replace old siding can provide an immediate facelift to a home. Available in a variety of colors, vinyl siding can eliminate the need for regular painting. Like window replacement investments, though, an investment in siding is an investment in the value of a home. The return on investment (ROI), in fact, is often significant.
Consider some of these other facts about home improvements:
- Gutter cleaning is an essential task for homeowners, and should be done twice a year. Experts recommend that most homeowners clean their gutters twice a year.
- One of the reasons that gutter cleaning is so important is the amount of rain that these important structures direct away from the home. For instance, an average size roof receiving just a single inch of rain can add as much as 1,900 gallons of water heading into the gutters.
- Like many other home repair investments, quality gutters that are maintained properly can last anywhere from 20 to 50 years.
- Because of their importance, homeowners typically spend somewhere between $546 and $1,303 to install or replace their gutters.
- Depending on the quality of the shingles, asphalt roofs can remain in good shape for 15 to 20 years. A growing number of homeowners, however, are purchasing an even sturdier roofing material that has a life span of 50 years. These composite shingles are more expensive, but they are worth the investment because of their low maintenance and long life.
- Homeowners typically spend between $4,761 and $9,314 when they install a new roof. The average amount spent is $7,036.
Do you have a list of summer repair and replacement projects for your home? For many homeowners summer is the time when they get caught up on projects around the house. In fact, homeowners spend an average of 1% to 4% of a home’s value on maintenance and repairs every single year. These investments not only improve the look of a home. Many, in fact, also add to the value of the property as well as provide substantial energy savings. As you approach your summer, make sure that you are paying attention to all of the necessary upgrades that need to be done around your home and property. Maintenance and replacement work now can save you substantial future savings.