Every year, people around the United States remodel their homes. It has been estimated by HomeGoods that about 47% have not updated their home decor in five years. A lot of that could be because of the difficulties with painting. The good news is there are other things you can do to change up the look of your home without the hassle of painting. If you want to change the look of your home, you can use wall stencils to get a new lool. Here are some steps to make the process better for you and to get a better result.
- Take some time to look at the different wall stencils and what wall you will use. There are wall decals with animals, custom vinyl stencils, and tree stencils to name a few. Another consideration you need to make is whether you own your home or not. If you rent, you may have to repaint the areas you put your wall decor on and will want to get a smaller wall stencil.
- Get the right design and color. If you have some artistic talent, you want to go with a stand-alone design. If you do not that, you can get a similar look to wallpaper, again without the hassle with a geometric design that covers the entire wall. You really have an almost unlimited number of options. When you are looking at designs, consider the colors you want to use for your wall stencils. There are just as many colors as there are designs so you should be able to get a color combination that works with your home.
- Get your wall ready. The first thing you need to do is make your wall is clean enough to apply wall decals. You need to be careful about scrubbing the wall too much so that it is too scratched to have the wall decals attach to it. You can also end up removing the paint, which you do not want to do. At the very least, you should take a damp cloth or rag and wipe down your wall.
- Work a little on your form. Unless you have put up a bunch of wall stencils, you should work on your style and form before you start working on your wall. You can get some paper or cardboard to work on before you take to your wall or walls. The thing is that while most people have painted a wall at one point, most have not put wall stencils up and it makes a difference to practice your technique. That includes how much pressure needs to be applied.
- Get to work on your wall. The first step in this process now is to affix your decoration to your wall or walls. One way to make this easiest is to use a spray on adhesive glue. This is something you can get at all decorating or hobby stores and even many dollar stores around the country. Some people use tapes but they can make the painting process more difficult than it needs to be. They can also change the way the paint applies to the wall and may leave you with blurry lines.
- Finish the job by painting and removing the stencil. You will paint the wall, then wait for the paint to dry and remove the stencil. This is really the easiest part of the job though you will want to take some care when you are removing the stencil from your walls.
There are a lot of real advantages to using wall stencils in place of a full painting job or putting up new wallpaper. They can be a lot easier to deal with and you can change up your home for different seasons or other occasions. They can be great for decorating kids’ rooms as they can be easily changed as the kids grow and their tastes and like or dislikes change. They can also be a great way to add a splash of color or thoughtful phrases to any part of your home.