If you are thinking about repainting your home, there are a lot of things to plan for before you begin. One of the top considerations on your list should be the type of paint you want to use. Traditional paint can contain harmful amounts of VOCs (Volitile Organic Compounds) which can lead to respiratory issues if you’re not careful.
What Are VOCs?
VOCs are unstable compounds that contain carbon and can easily be vaporized during application. Once the vapors are in the air the react with other elements to create pollution. Health effects from VOCs can be anything from headaches and watery eyes to nausea, breathing problems, and even cancer. VOCs are released as the paint dries but can continue to release chemicals for several years after this peak. This makes the air in your house unhealthy, and unsafe, especially for those who may be predisposed to respiratory issues.
The Benefits Of Low VOC Paint
Low VOC paint is an option to consider if you want to forgo the health risks that can come from traditional paint; however, there are a couple of additional benefits you should consider.
- Cleaner Air. While it is the most obvious, it cannot be overstated. Using low VOC paint throughout your house is the easiest way to improve overall air quality. This can help you avoid triggering current health issues or developing new ones due to exposure.
- Low Odor Paint. The telltale new paint smell isn’t one most people enjoy. It’s not only pungent but is caused by the very VOCs you’re trying to avoid! While you should always paint in a well-ventilated room, that doesn’t stop the odor from lingering and spreading as the paint dries. Low VOC paint is much easier on the nose because it doesn’t release the VOC containing fumes that traditional paints do. This can help get you back to enjoying your home, without worrying about the chemicals and smell.
- Cost. When picking out paint, you have a lot of options. Many people make the mistake of assuming low VOC paint will be more expensive than traditional styles; however, this couldn’t be further from the truth. These paints are nearly the same in price, and while you might spend a couple of bucks more, it’s a small price to pay for healthy clean air.
- Clean Up. Low VOC paints are also renowned for their ability to clean up quicker than traditional options. Simply wipe a dirty area with soap and water to remove scuff marks, smudges, and dirt; along with any artwork, the kids may have added too.
- Durability. Low VOC paint will also last you for a long time between paintings. This means your air is not only cleaner, but your whole home will continue looking it’s best for years and years to come.
If you are considering repainting your home, consider what low VOC paints can do for you. They are cost-effective, easy to clean, last for years, and will help maintain clean air during and after application. If you want clean air, but don’t want to sacrifice style, speak with your local paint distributor today.