If learning the types of air conditioning options has you baffled, or if you just aren’t sure what you are getting into with your new home’s HVAC system, here are some tips on what to look for in an air conditioning company, and common types of air conditioning repair.
First, some definitions.
- AC and HVAC.AC is short for air conditioning, while HVAC stands for a broader scope of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.Whether referring to a unit or building-wide system, both abbreviations are used interchangeably.
- SEER rating.The SEER rating of an air conditioner refers to its Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio, a measure of the unit’s quality, cooling and energy efficiency. Each state has a minimum, numerical rating standard for new HVAC units, usually 13 or 14. An air conditioning company can seamlessly guide you through energy considerations. They can also provide an evaluation of your home or business’s energy needs.
- Furnaces: are they also air conditioners?Yes, if your HVAC system provides both heat and air conditioning. They are also referred to as heat pumps, because they use the same compressor and air handler.
- Air conditioning vacuum pump.A single stage or two stage vacuum pump removes air or moisture that may damage your air conditioning system. This AC maintenance is usually provided by an air conditioning company, although there are vacuums available at certain home and hardware stores. Two stage pumps conduct maintenance as the name implies – in 2 stages, further ensuring a deeper, clean system that will increase HVAC performance. Most air conditioning companies provide this level of service.
Tips for hiring an air conditioning company that provides reliable AC repair for your home or commercial air conditioning repair.
- Endorsements and experience.Asking for, and researching referrals is important, in order to feel confident that your air conditioning options have been discussed adequately.Check references, and ask trusted friends and neighbors for their recommendations.
- Ask about brands.Online advertisements and customer reviews are helpful. But one of the biggest benefits of hiring an HVAC specialist is tapping into their experience and expertise with particular systems. Air conditioning companies are responsible for both installation and AC repair services, so they are probably your best resource for brand comparisons.
- Ask about policies on repairs, maintenance and warranties.Air conditioner maintenance is paramount to the health of your system. It is important to conduct maintenance procedures on your air conditioningbeforeyou are in need of repair services.
- Save energy and money!Air conditioning companies are qualified for both residential and commercial air conditioning repair, although some companies specialize in either type. Either way, their status as a dealer or AC repair company may save you money through their professional discounts, as well as their expertise in energy efficiency standards, such as the SEER rating.
Most importantly, make informed decisions about your air conditioning options. There are multiple resources available, including SEER ratings and energy saving recommendations from the